Despite little action on energy efficiency at the federal level, many states forged ahead with significant policy initiatives in 2019. Among these:
· Washington, Colorado, and Hawaii adopted expanded energy and water efficiency standards, including for faucets, commercial kitchen equipment, and computers.
· Missouri approved efficiency programs that will help renters and owners of affordable multifamily housing cut costs and energy waste.
· New Jersey began implementing groundbreaking efficiency legislation to ensure its utilities invest in all cost-effective energy efficiency.
· New York adopted the nation-leading Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act setting a path to net-zero emissions (with efficiency playing a major role).
· California adopted a new framework to launch innovative market transformation ideas to get more efficient products onto store shelves, providing a boost for those improved technologies to potentially become the norm nationally.